Today we will talk about how important it is to build flexibility into your life because it helps make you more resilient when things change. We will also talk about what has happened since we started getting serious about the egg and coffee business, cover how the paper is doing and I will share with you a bit about how the Grafting workshop went over at Cider Hollow
Eating Seasonally and Tales from the Prepper Pantry
This is where we share what we are eating as it comes to us – and talk about ways to use what we store.
- Wild Mustard, watercress, dandelion greens
- Baby kale from the super kale plant
- From the pantry: there is half a box of potatoes left and we are par boiling them, then making hash browns about once a day!
- Corn and green beans on salads as usual
- Hitting the pickled goods hard.
- Forgot to can the extra pork stock from the shoulder roast so here is what we did…
Getting the Gardens Ready
Where we share what we are doing to get our food growing operation up and running.
- Operation Eyesore
- Transplanted the tomato seedlings and moved then to the GH
- Beets, carrots, lettuce, radish, etc seeds are in the ground and the radishes have germinated!
- Working on more woodchipping for areas where we want better weed control
- Someone dug the horseradish plant – wtf?
Why Build Resilience in Your Life
Part of our lifestyle here on the homestead is about building resilience into our day to day activities. Because no matter what happens, we only know one thing: change is coming. This idea that you work one job your whole life and retire to play golf – and that this is the norm – was a nice dream, but it is really a fiction.
- First and foremost: flexibility
- Secondly: responsibility – no excuses
- Finally: more control of the things you can control
Four ways to get started:
- Simplify and frugalify
- Grow some of your own food
- Find ways to build ongoing income from your local area that you control
- Develop a real community around yourself
Holler Homestead Business Progress
Center Hill Sun Update
Stories from the Holler
- Cider Hollow Event with Cliff from Spiral Ridge Permaculture
- Hive splitting – check out the video on youtube
And with that, remember, if like the show you can support us while drinking a marvelous cup of hand-roasted coffee – order here.
Youtube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PX-bHfC3AEOUPWgJ5d40g/playlists
Well my friends, next week it is a 50-50 chance that the podcast will be skipped – sorry about that. I will be down at Jack Spirko’s not getting enough sleep for five days, giving a presentation and learning a TON from other homesteaders. And in two weeks, we may have a very special interview lines up with one of our listeners who is this very moment one her brand new pice of land. That should be fun. Anyway – go out and make it a great week!
Song: Sauce, Tripped Out.