Today we are going to talk about what NOT TO DO when you first move to your new homestead. These are three things that I really wish we had known before we dove into the Holler Homestead. Also today, a brand new gluten free, dairy free, soy free potluck recipe. I’ve got some updates to share about the Holler Homestead and we will go over Toby Hemenway’s 8th chapter of Gaia’s Garden.
Eating Seasonally and Tales from the Prepper Pantry
This is where we share what we are eating as it comes to us – and talk about ways to use what we store.
- Wild Mustard is everywhere
- Wild Salad
- Harvesting Dandelion Roots
- Harvesting Sassafrass Root
- Prepper Pantry Recipe: Roasted Garlic Spread
- Gluten free, dairy free, soy free potluck dish
Getting the Gardens Ready
Where we share what we are doing to get our food growing operation up and running.
- Operation Eyesore
- Final bed preparation is in process and it will take a few weeks to finalize
- Blackberry Propagation
- Seedling light update
3 Mistakes to Avoid on Your New Land
- Don’t rush in
- Don’t do everything at once
- Don’t underestimate
Three things you should do on your new land:
- Take time and observe
- Set clear priorities with your big picture goal in mind and stick to them
- Double your estimate in time and money for everything so that you have enough resources to complete your projects
Toby Hemenway Chapter 8 of Gaia’s Garden
Questions to ask yourself about this chapter
- What one community do I want to set up this year?
- How can I make plants, insects, soil organisms, birds and mammals work in concert on my land?
- Where can I try out polyculture in my garden this year and what succession will I aim for?
- Do I have time each day to oversee a succession planting project in my veggie garden?
And with that, remember, if like the show you can support us while drinking a marvelous cup of hand-roasted coffee! Order here.
You want to drop me a question, topic idea, or comment, feel free to email me. And for those of you who prefer youtube, we have the show up over on a youtube channel, but they won’t let me do a vanity domain until I have 100 followers – apparently this is something new. Youtube Link
It is funny how simplifying your life, putting more energy into gleaning a living from a piece of land, when done well, can add resilience to your household. Next week we will talk about this resilience a bit more when I share with you s big change that has happened in my job. I am so glad to see spring springing here in Tennessee – along with its new plants, snow, 70 degree days and more visits from friends. Living this way is great fun, really hard, sometimes scary – but it is always rewarding to know that we have made what we have with our own two hands. Make it a great week!
Song: Sauce, Belly Dancing Vamp Song