We’ve gotten lots of feedback on the last episode from folks who wanted to go to that workshop and have never been able to. It got me to thinking. What if we do a homesteading workshop right here this coming September? In former years, we have had one or two orientations followed by lots of raucous camping fun, but wouldn’t it be fun to do something that allows us all to share best practices from Tennessee on what we are best at?
Deal: Cider Hollow wants to offer 5% off their bare root trees and comfrey. Get ’em while you still can!
Eating Seasonally and Tales from the Prepper Pantry
- This is where we share what we are eating as it comes to us – and talk about ways to use what we store
- Wild Mustard, watercress, dandelion roots, hairy vetch
- From the pantry: garlic and onions are gone so we are depending on wild garlic chives and early green onions from the garden
- Watercress is almost done for the season, though we have another cold snap on the way which may give us a reset
- The season of tea is almost here: Bee balm, blackberry leaves, mint
Getting the Gardens Ready
- Where we share what we are doing to get our food growing operation up and running
- Greenhouse tomatoes are growing strongly and will be for sale soon
- Potatoes up and wood-chipping the walkways is in process
Selling watercress online this week
Wild Forage Nutrition in the Spring
Beta-carotene (Vitamin A pre-cursor), B vitamins (B1/Thiamin, B2/Riboflavin, B3/Niacin), Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
Iron, vitamins, and fiber
Vitamin A, Calcium, Iron
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Calcium
Observing your local forest
Right now as spring is springing – it is a great time to see what likes to grow in you area – and glean inspiration from it
Wild raspberry and blackberries
Hairy vetch and other vines
These all grow on the edges and also provide us food in my area
We also have
These varieties are already acclimated to our region – look at where they grow on their own
Stories from the Holler
- Facelift for spring
- Ducks are back in synch with us
- Communities versus guilds
And with that, remember, if like the show you can support us while drinking a marvelous cup of hand-roasted coffee!
Make it a great week!
Song: Sauce – Wolf