Winter is coming and so are the holidays this week at the Holler Homestead. Today we will go over this week’s pantry tip, talk about winterizing the homestead and I’ll share 5 country gift ideas.
What mother nature is providing
- Venison – bacon wrapped loin
Using the Prepper Pantry
- Why is it called the prepper pantry?
- Potato soup (Bacon)
- Protection from freezing
- Honey Extraction
- The weekly squash – week 1: Roasted butternut squash
- Tip on how to cube it without losing a finger tip
Winter is coming
- Cabin draining
- Duck water
- Pump house
- Root Cellar
- Bad Windows
- Screened in porch
Five Country Gift Ideas: Look around – what do you have or what can you make that would be special?
1.Chestnuts with a pretty instructions sheet
2. Fancied up preserves, canned goods, or other homemade items like vanilla extract
Lavendar on Amazon….
4. Repurposed country items: horse hames, horseshoes, etched bottles
5. Meal in a jar (Take any recipe, put the dried parts in the jar. Write fancy instructions to make the meal by adding the non-dry items.
Lentil soup example…
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (NO)
- 2 cups chopped onions (YES)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (YES)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (YES)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (YES)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander ((YES)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (YES)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (YES)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (YES)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth (NO)
- 2 cups water (NO)
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1/2 medium) (NO)
- 1 3/4 cups lentils (YES)
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (NO)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (YES)
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one (YES)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (YES)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (NO)
Cook on low until done – salt to taste.
Pro-prepper resource for this: http://rainydayfoodstorage.blogspot.com/p/meals-in-jar-recipes.html
Song: Grandpa’s Song by Sauce