Come to the Holler Homestead and learn all about meat chickens! This year, we chose a slower growing variety of meat chicken that does really well on forage: the Ginger Roaster!
As part of your class you will learn:
- The overview of raising meat birds including how we do it, tractoring, feed, and costs
- Basic food safety practices
- Hands on experience of processing your chicken
- Cooking practices for pasture-raised chicken
You will also go home with:
- A chicken to cook!
- Your copy of Nicole Sauce’s processing guide, “Don’t Be A Chicken: A Guide the Processing Poultry”
Class includes: a non-chicken-based lunch, coffee
What to bring:
- A cooler to transport your chicken
- A change of clothing just in case
- A towel if you want to use our outdoor shower