Last week, I was away for five days doing some very important family time. Next week, I will be gone again. So there have been other people handling the homestead — people well prepared to do everything here. Yet, no matter how well I prepare things always seem to get jiggy when I leave town. Today we will talk about the homestead madness that greeted me at 11:30PM Saturday when I returned from a trip to California.
#HollerHatWednesday: Where is she and who is she with?
Kickstart Holler Roast update: preparing for the building and the sign from SUE
Cybersecurity Webinar October 15 at 7pm CT: https://www.livingfreeintennessee.com/2020/10/07/webinar-cybersecurity-with-andy-higginbotham/
Stump the Sauce
- From Lynn – Changing the codes on chickens
- Raise rabbits, quayle and other “pets” that are quiet
- Know thy neighbor — and no roosters
- Changing code is hard
- Assess the reason it was put in place
- Learn the laws and codes at the state, county, city and local level. Where is the problem?
- Find who supports you and who does not in government leadership for the level of govt that impacts this rule
- Launch an initiative to change it
- Signature drives
- Support Groups, etc
Main topic of the Show: Homestead Madness
- What happens when you leave town or one of you leaves town.
- Nick Ferguson and the Pig
- 12 hours flying with a mask
- Power outage
- Ways to keep baby chicks warm: How warm they need to be, Body heat, move them inside, hot water bottles, water heater, any heater!!, move them to a friend’s home, generator and lights (not the best but the easiest in our case)
- Limpy Duck Surgery (How to do it and why)
It always seems like things go nuts when one person is gone and that may be true — or it may be that you unknowingly do things a little each day that avoids calamity on the homestead and when that eye is gone things save up until they bust.
Either way, even with the best homestead sitters and farm sitters in the world, best to schedule a catch up day or two when you have been on the road both for yourself and for the health of your plants and animals!
Make it a great week!
GUYS! Don’t forget about the cookbook, Cook With What You Have by Nicole Sauce and Mama Sauce.