Today, I have a fun interview to share with you. I talked to a friend, John Moody who boasts a background at the Farm to Table legal defense fund, has built a high tunnel on his land, and approaches homesteading with the simple idea that: don’t make it harder than it has to be. He is about to release his book, the frugal homestead, and is an all-around fun guy to talk with!
What Mother Nature is providing
- Watercress is starting to come back
- Creek Mint
- Lots of veggies
- Fall Garden Time is Now
What we are preserving this week
- Beans and corn.
- Lesson learned from canning sauerkraut
Tales from the Prepper Pantry
- Scored another bushel of corn and canned it
- Need to insulate the exterior wall in the prepper pantry to see if temperature regulates better
Ideas from the Booze Whisperer
- Hickory Smoked Bourbon and Lavender Simple Syrup
- We relaxed with friends this weekend and what started as a quiet visit expanded into a fun gathering
- What do do when you have people to feed and not enough eggs (Crepes)
- Conquered paper mountain!!! (Taxes are almost done because of this)
Interview with John Moody, Author of Frugal Homesteading
The Moody family farms and homesteads on 35 acres in Kentucky. John Moody discovered more than a decade ago that his diet was literally killing him with duodenal ulcers, seasonal allergies, and other health problems, so the family began to transition to real, local foods and local food distribution. Eventually, he relocated his family to 35 acres of land to put his learning into practice. He currently serves as a founder and director of Steader (an online learning platform for homesteaders and farmers), and also speaks at many local, regional, and national events on food, farming, and nutrition. He has two books forthcoming to help growers and gardeners, one on soil and one on small-scale farm infrastructure.
Song: Learning What Leaving Is, Sauce
- Pre-order form for the frugal homesteader: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfFqfumN4cWkjv3RMuuBuHZLivLgaFYJJRdPkuNjvUsxNSvCw/viewform
- Homesteader Handbook: https://homesteaderhandbook.com/
- Booze Whisperer: BiltongForBreakfast.com
- Membership Sign Up: https://livingfreeintennessee.com/iump-subscription-plan/